Choices and Changes - January 2020 (CANCELLED)
Choices and Changes provides clinicians with specific, brief and efficient communication strategies to help them enhance patient/client health behaviour change and adherence to a treatment plan. Participants will have the opportunity to explore their own beliefs about the change process and to test out these beliefs against research evidence that has been gathered over the past twenty five years.
Participants are encouraged to register and stay for the afternoon program entitled, "Introduction to Brief Action Planning".
Date: 14-01-2020 Morning
LEADS Domain: Achieve Results
Learning Hours: 3.75
Cost (HHS Staff and Physicians): FREE
Cost (non-HHS): FREE
Date: Tuesday January 14, 2020
Time: 8:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Location: Main Street West Urgent Care Centre, CFPD
Lynn Kuchard, Self Management Program Coordinator for HNHB LHIN, Hamilton Health Sciences.
Bo Fusek, Diabetes Clinical Nurse Specialist, Hamilton Health Sciences.
Front-line Healthcare Providers, Physicians, Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, Physicians Assistants, Dieticians, Health Coaches, Diabetes Educators, Social Workers, Psychologists, Pharmacists, Addiction Counselors, anyone who provides health education to patients/clients.
At the end of this program you will be able to:
- Describe research regarding health behaviour change
- Explain two models of change that can guide change conversations
- Reflect on the role of a clinician as a facilitator of change
- Demonstrate the three core Motivational Interviewing skills, as well as other techniques that develop rapport with patients/clients which increase the likelihood of change
- Describe the four key elements of a visit with a patient/client
- Develop a plan to apply specific skills into active clinical practice
Special Course Features:
This program includes follow up.
Facilitators are available to offer assistance with integrating these communication techniques into practice. The program facilitator will connect with participants by email approximately 6 weeks post workshop with a short survey asking them to identify areas of impact with their clinical practice.
MAINTENANCE OF CERTIFICATION: Attendance at this program entitles certified Canadian College of Health Leaders members (CHE / Fellow) to 4.25 Category I credits towards their maintenance of certification requirement.