Risky Business: Mitigating Professional Liability in Your Practice- May 2021
Module 1- Are you speaking to the right person? Consent, Capacity, and Substitute Decision Maker (SDM).
Module 2 – Yikes, the police are here asking for information! What do I do?
Date: 25-05-2021 Morning
Date: 01-06-2021 Morning
LEADS Domain: Lead Self
Learning Hours: 3
Cost (HHS Staff and Physicians): $FREE
Cost (Non-HHS): Not available
Cost (CCHL): Not available
Date: Tuesday May 25 and June 1, 2021
Time: 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM
Location: Zoom (address provided after registration)
This course is open to all Health professionals, Managers, Physicians, Residents, Clinical Leaders, Clinical Educator
Mary Novara, Quality of Care Consultant, Hamilton Health Sciences
Colleen Patey, Quality of Care Consultant, Hamilton Health Sciences
Kirsten Zeyl, Quality of Care Consultant, Hamilton Health Sciences
Cherilyn van Berkel, Quality of Care Consultant, Hamilton Health Sciences
At the end of this course you will be able to:
Module 1 –
- Gain knowledge regarding the components of informed consent.
- Appreciate the required elements of patient capacity.
- Identify the appropriate decision maker.
- Develop confidence in educating SDMs about their role.
Module 2 –
- Understand when information can be shared with the Police.
- Gain knowledge of the requirements involved in releasing evidence to Police.
- Learn aspects of dealing with illicit/controlled substances that come into the hospital.
- Navigating the presence of Police/Corrections Officers at the hospital.
MAINTENANCE OF CERTIFICATION
Attendance at this program entitles certified Canadian College of Health Leaders members (CHE / Fellow) to 3 Category I credits toward their maintenance of certification requirement.